You probably know that staring at your phone before bed can keep you awake, because your brain thinks the light it gives off is sunlight. But here are five things you shouldn’t do before bed that you might not know about, according to Health.com:
1. Don’t chug a glass of water. Drinking something cold can wake you up. And you’re also more likely to have to get up and use the bathroom in the middle of the night.
2. Don’t smoke a cigarette. Most smokers think it helps them relax. But nicotine is a stimulant, just like caffeine. So if you smoke right before bed, you can have trouble falling asleep . . . and e-cigarettes do the same thing.
3. Don’t play a video game. The light from the TV can wake you up, just like your phone. But playing a game also requires more brainpower than just watching TV. So if you play a game and get right into bed, your body isn’t ready to sleep yet.
4. Don’t let your pet jump in bed with you. You don’t realize it, but you toss and turn a lot more when there’s a cat or dog in bed with you. One study found that when people slept with a pet, 63% of them didn’t sleep well that night.
5. Don’t take a shower. If you always shower at night, it’s okay because your body’s used to it. But if you usually shower in the morning, your body thinks it means it’s time to START the day, not end it.
Find 15 other things you shouldn’t do before bed at Health.com